Shree Dwarkadhish Temple, also known as Trilokya Sunder Jagat Mandir, is located in spiritual city of Dwarka. Dwarka is also considered as symbolism of ancient Hinduism.
Dwarka is derived from 'Dwar', a door, and in ancient times its flourishing port was considered to be the gateway to the main land. As 'Ka' means 'Brahma' meaning, gateway to Moksha. It is called Dwarkamati and Dwarkavati. Being adopted home and capital of Shri Krishna after he gave up Mathura. It is held in such a high esteem as a place of Hindu pilgrimage that it is considered to be one of the four principle holy places or chardham, it is also known as Mokshapuri.
History - In 200 A.D, king Vasudev II of Dwarka was defeated by Mahakshatriya Rudradama. When Rudradama died his wife queen Dheeradevi invited his brother Pulumavi seeking guidance to rule. Rudradama had embraced Vaishnavism religion and worshiped Krishna at Dwarka. Vajranabha, his successor, had built a chhattri (an umbrella type monument) and deified an idol of Krishna in it.
An epigraphic reference inscribed on a copper plate, dated 574 AD found in Palitana, ascribed to Garulaka Simhaditya, the son of Varahdas, the king of Dwarka, was the minister of Vallabhi under Maitraka, refers to Dwarka.
One of the four dhams (religious seats) founded by Adi Shankaracharya (686-717) at the four corners of the country, as a monastic center when the mainstreamHinduism had not been accepted, is also a part of Dwarka temple complex. In 885 AD, the then pontiff of Shreemad Jagatguru Shankaracharya peeth got the temple refurbished.
In 1241, Mohammad Shah invaded Dwarka and damaged the temple. During this battle five Brahmins, Virajee Thakar, Nathu Thakar, Karasan Thakar, Valjee Thakar, and Devasee Thakar, who fought against him, died and were honoured as martyrs. The shrine built in their honour, located near the temple, now has a Muslim name "Panch Peer". During the Muslim rule, the Mughal emperors invaded Dwarka in 1372 and destroyed its ancient temples but the Jagat Mandir or the Dwarakadhisa temple was rebuilt later.
Vallabha Acharya retrieved an idol of Dwarkadhish, which was revered by Rukmini, in a stepwell known as Savitri vav, which was hidden there during Muslim invasion. He installed it at Ladva village and in 1551 when Turk Aziz invaded Dwarka, the idol was shifted to Bet Dwarka island.
Dwarka, along with Okhamandal region, was under the rule of Gaekwad of Baroda state during Indian rebellion of 1857. Later by joint offensive of the British, the Gaekwads and other princely states troops ousted the rebels and recaptured the region in 1859. A war occurred at Okhamandal in 1858 between the local Vaghersand the British. The Vaghers won the battle and ruled till September 1859. Later by joint offensive of the British, the Gaekwads and other princely states troops, Vaghers were ousted in 1859. During these operations led by Colonel Donovan, the temples, both in Dwarka and Bet Dwarka, suffered damages and the temple treasures were also looted. A complaint was made by the local people of Jamnagar, Porbander and Kutch, which was supported by the merchants of Bombay who were devotees of Vishnu, and there was wide spread publicity to the atrocities committed by the British. They sought restoration of the temples. The temples were restored and the looted properties returned. In 1861, the temple was renovated by Maharaja Khanderao, when the British refurbished the shikara of the temple. Maharaja Gaikwad of Baroda got a golden pinnacle fixed on the shikara of the temple in 1958 when the then Pontiff Shankaracharya got the temple refurbished. Since 1960, the temple is maintained by the Government of India